Sunday 12 May 2013

A walk through the woods ... ! x

Hello, would you like to come on a walk with me and Mr Moo ...


We are in the woods to look at the bluebells, the sun is shining and its a perfect day for a ramble.

The walk takes us over a bridge over a babbling brook ...



A view of the babbling brook through the ironwork on the bridge.


Oh look ... do you see a little bridge over there ... unfortunately we not able to cross it but its so lovely to admire it from afar.


Now take a deep breath and you can smell all around us the wild garlic ... I love the smell do you! Mr Moo and I start to plan what we could make with it ... Mmmmmmm!!

I have found this recipe since for wild garlic pesto ... Mmmmmmm me thinks its worth a go!!


Lets carry on with the walk ... it takes us through a small patch of woodland ...

Where we are going ... 


And where we have come from ... the dappled light is just beautiful! Can you see all the wild garlic!!


I love trees and look at this one, the roots are hanging onto the hill and keeping this magnificent tree upright!


And here amongst the wild garlic is a coppiced tree left for the bugs to create a home in.


Now we cross a field or two ... look at this proud tree, from the bare branches we should be able to tell which tree it is ... do you have any ideas?


An orchard of apple trees, all coming into blossom.


And while this walk is to look at the bluebells, I can't help but take pictures of other flowers and fauna ...

Buttercup ... so shall we see if you like butter lift up your chin and we will see ... oh ... yes you do!! Correction ... this is in fact a Lesser Celandine ... still beautiful though. See this wonderful link for a close up!


I'm not at all sure what this flower is ... do you? The colours are beautiful aren't they!

Its a Wood Anemone!!! 


Look at these new sycamore leaves in the sunlight ... 


A big gate in the middle of nowhere ... I wonder where it leads ...


A blanket of bluebells ...


And one bluebell up close in all her glory ...


So which way to go ... can you see Mr Moo saying 'Hello'.


A quick picture as we cross another bridge of Mr Moo and I.


And so our walk takes us further into the woods ... a haze of blue covers the ground!


I take a quick shadow picture ... Mr Moo is reading the map to work out which way to go next ... sssh don't tell him I have taken it!


We have decided which route to take and on we go ... ooh can you see the beehives!


Another bluebell ... oh did I tell you we thought it would be a good idea to count how many we see?


I do love woodland walks.


The bluebells look wonderful amongst the trees ...


You can see the leaves unfurling on the trees, its a wonderful time of year seeing all coming back to life again!


Look at the blue skies ... sigh!


A blossom tree, all around it had been coppiced leaving this tree standing proud.


The coppiced trees are drying out ready to be made into charcoal.


Another waymarker for the bluebell walk ... which way shall we choose?

Oh look a pinecone ... 


We choose a way to go and go deeper into the woods.


The bluebells are everywhere ... fabulous aren't they!!


A little green dell in the woods ...


And through to the main path again ...


A quick rest and a look at the map ... we're at B so close to the end of the walk, the promise of tea and cake powers us on!


  a beetle ...


A few more snaps of the bluebells ... 


Oh there's me amongst the bluebells ...


Wow ... look at these a carpet of bluebells ... magical!


All around us ... !!


A dandelion ... I haven't picked so I won't be wetting the bed as we used to say at school ... but they are pretty aren't they ... !


One last picture of bluebells ... so pretty and delicate ... what a fabulous colour!!


Then back to the Village Hall for tea and cake ... look Mr Moo chose the one with fresh cream!

The cakes were homemade and delicious! What will you have?


On the way back to the car shall we pop to the Church and look at the Art Exhibition?


They were all fabulous pieces ... and such a pretty church too ...look who are in residence ...


They were flying in and out of the church porch ... a fantastic sight!


The churchyard is full of old gravestones, a bit morbid I know but I do love them, the detail of the stonework  is amazing!


We look back at the church before heading back to the car.


We wonder about this ... it looks like a mangle ... but is there a well there? Oh the Mystery!!

And so we have come to the end of the walk, I hope you enjoyed it, we enjoyed you being on the walk with us.

bye, bye,

xxx

18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous walk... how lovely to have shared it with someone you love.. many thanks for sharing it with us... Seas of bluebells.. I especially loved the splendid tree roots! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I thought the roots were fabulous too. I thought I would bring a little sunshine on a rainy day!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for taking me on that wonderful walk - the carpets of bluebells are stunning. Not sure about the little mystery flower - could it be some form of wood anemone? I'm looking forward to making some wild garlic pesto this year - never tried it before so fingers crossed x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since learnt that the mystery flower is a Wood Anemone, and the buttercup is in face a Lesser Celandine. Ooh and I like the sound of wild garlic pesto ... do share the recipe for that one!! x

      Delete
  3. Many thanks for this wonderful walk which has helped to brush the cobwebs away. The bluebells look so lovely and in fact the woods ..... well makes me a little homesick to tell you the truth. The green and the woods is something I continue to miss.

    Glorious photos which bring all to life...many thanks for sharing :-)

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining us on our walk ... it was truly beautiful. Be assured they are still there for when you pop over to Blighty for a visit!!

      xx

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty walk, we've been to the bluebell woods near us today too. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I hope you enjoyed your walk too ... and finished it with tea and cake!! x

      Delete
  5. Mellie, thanks so much for letting me come along with you :-) It was so beautiful...especially the Bluebells! I love that you know the names or discovered the names for the plants and trees you took pictures of. I want to get better at identifying flowers and trees.

    The church yard, birds, and tea were a lovely part of the walk as well!

    xx,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm and the cake ... it was delicious!! x

      Delete
  6. I'm glad someone has identified the wood anemone - I was thinking it looked like one but all the photos on google images I looked up to check had a different colour pattern. I was going to mention the lesser calendine - still in the buttercup family but the type we use to detect for butter liking usually has 5 or 6 more rounded petals. I hope you like this photo I took of a lesser calendine the year before last http://www.originaltake.com/p708926733#h33944bbc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed the link ... what a fabulous close up ... love it!!! x

      Delete
  7. That looks like a lovely country walk. Those bluebells are beautiful. I love the woods at this time of year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each year when the bluebells are out I keep promising myself I will do this walk ... well this year I am so glad I did it was beautiful! I love this time of year too, watching the world awake after winter x

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful walk! i enjoyed that a lot! Thanks for sharing ^_^ that tree root is amazing!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh ... thank you Steph! I know I love trees and their roots ... you do wonder what lives among the roots ... ! x

      Delete
  9. Love the walk. The bluebells are beautiful. I love walks in the woods. Unfortunately, I can't do that anymore so I do love you taking me along. I love old churches and graveyards also. I find them quite peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to join me on my walks! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a message its lovely to hear from you and I enjoy reading the comments you leave.

Thank you,

Mellie
xxx